A Wholesome Thanksgiving Tradition For Your Family | Gratitude Jars
With my new family, I plan to incorporate this old but simple thanksgiving tradition. And a gratitude jar is a great way to demonstrate appreciation for the simple things you are grateful for this Thanksgiving.
Involving your kids during the holidays can help them develop compassion and creativity. Since the Halloween ghost crafts and dia de Los Muertos sugar skulls were hands-on, these next ones will be created with words.
It’s a special time, take turns in filling this jar with simple notes or words. No note is too big or too small. Gratitude jars also make a great wholesome gift for family and friends. Have fun and share your new tradition of gratitude this Thanksgiving holiday!
Gratitude Jar Supplies:
- OPTIONAL: MINI SIGN/CHALKBOARD
- I measured the circumference of the jar with the burlap. Cut it then used hot glue to secure it to the mason jar. Then snipped off any remaining burlap to clean it up.
- Used a lengthy piece of twine to create a bow in the middle of the burlap piece. It’s a cute matchy layer that isn’t “too much”.
- You can also use an old fashion jar topper as a cute accessory also.
- I created a sign saying “Gratitude Jar: Count Your Blessings” on the mini chalkboard in front of the jar.
- With the cardstock I had, I cut each into 2 x 3 for people to write their gratitude notes, as short and sweet as possible. The ribbon is an easy way to keep the cards together.
Each of these craft supplies gave the gratitude jar area a home that felt cozy and festive. Burlap is definitely on theme for fall and thanksgiving.
Different ways to write your gratitude notes:
- I am blessed to have….
- I am grateful for….
- I love ____ because….
- I love the opportunity I have to….
- _____ means so much to me because,
A Thanksgiving Tradition Challenge
You may also want to create your own gratitude challenge for your family. Each note should bear opportunities for reflection or acts of kindness.
Then every day each person in the family picks a note out of a jar and acts on that challenge. This can feel very heartwarming for everyone involved!
- Think of someone who inspires you and tell them
- Hold the door for someone
- Be thankful in your prayers
- Replace every complaint with a blessing
- Donate to a charity